TITLE: HCIP Jury Members and Jury Chairs
POSITION STATUS: Volunteer
REPORTS TO: Grants Coordinator
POSTING DATE: September 29, 2020
CLOSING DATE: November 16, 2020
TARGET START DATE: January 4, 2021
The Edmonton Heritage Council (EHC) is a non-profit organization connecting people with the stories of their city. The EHC provides leadership, support and programs to help Edmontonians research, preserve, interpret, and advocate for their heritage. Our vision is an Edmonton that embraces its diverse heritage, inclusive of all people, communities, and cultures on Treaty 6 territory.
Since 2009, EHC has been a connector, catalyst, and advocate for Edmonton’s heritage and history, convening conversations and sparking action that connects citizens with the city’s diverse heritage and story. We have promoted and supported Edmonton’s heritage through the Heritage Community Investment Program (HCIP) since 2013.
EHC is seeking Expressions of Interest for jury members and jury chairs for the 2021 grants season.
Through Operational, Project, Project Accelerator, and Travel/Online Learning grants, HCIP invests funds into the stabilization, increased professionalism, and innovation of heritage in Edmonton for Edmontonians.
Jury members serve as peer evaluators for grant applications submitted to the Edmonton Heritage Council’s Heritage Community Investment Program (HCIP). Jury chairs facilitate and moderate discussion of applications by jury members and are responsible for reporting on process, conflicts of interest, and other concerns to the EHC’s Board of Directors.
Evaluation of grant applications will take place throughout 2021 by virtual or in-person meetings, in accordance with ongoing health recommendations. Successful applicants will be notified in December, receive training in January, and may begin serving on juries as early as February 2021.
Meetings will take place between one and three times per year, depending on the grant stream. Juries are typically scheduled during regular office hours, so applicants must have Monday-Friday daytime availability. In addition to scheduled meetings, each jury commitment requires anywhere between two and ten hours of advance preparation, depending on the size of the applicant pool.
All selected jury members and jury chairs will receive training on the process and expectations. Training must be completed prior to participation in jury meetings.
Ideal candidates for jury members possess the following qualities:
- Personal and/or professional connections to Edmonton’s heritage sector, including museums, archives, historical societies, community or cultural organizations, and/or independent heritage work;
- Experience in heritage research and interpretation, non-profit operations, volunteer management, event planning, and/or project management;
- Financial literacy, particularly with regards to non-profit accounting and/or project budgets;
- The ability to critically evaluate detailed material, articulate opinions, make comparisons, and debate in a group decision-making process;
- An openness to and respect for the ideas and opinions of others.
Ideal candidates for jury chairs possess the following qualities:
- All of the above;
- Expertise and/or training in group facilitation and mediation;
- Ability to moderate and convene the peer jury grants selection process, discussion, and debates;
- Broad knowledge and understanding of Edmonton’s heritage sector, including current trends, challenges, and opportunities.
In alignment with the EHC’s Equity Policy, we are committed to ensuring that our juries reflect the broad diversity of Edmonton’s population.
Jurors and jury chairs will receive an honorarium for each meeting that they attend, including training.
WHAT TO SUBMIT
If you’re interested in serving as a juror or jury chair, please submit an Expression of Interest, including:
- Your name, email address, daytime telephone number, and current mailing address;
- A statement of interest of 500 words or less, outlining your personal and professional experiences relevant to this role, and indicating your preferred position (juror or jury chair);
- A current resumé.
Please send Expressions of Interest as a single-document PDF to Julia Darby, Grants Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 16, 2020 at 4:00 PM.
Qualified applicants will be contacted for a brief phone interview.